From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Phil Kane
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 3:42 PM
To: Elecraft
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Problem with a K3 screw

On 12/28/2012 11:08 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> Instead I borrow a trick from my post WWII aircraft service days:
> paint. A drop of fingernail polish between the nut what it tightens
> against works very well. If you don't want it visible, paint the
> threads with some and then put the nut on over it, or paint the face
> of the nut that presses against the fan with black fingernail polish
> (a common color nowadays :-) and screw it in place before it dries.
>
> It's not so strong that you can't remove the nut, but it should
> prevent loosening due to fan vibration.
>
> And then there's always lock washers.

How much and what type of solvent does the fingernail polish carry as
compared to LockTite?

My preferred solution is to use nylon-insert stop nuts, which I learned
about when I worked at the Douglas Airplane Works for a brief time.  The
local ACE Hardware outlet carries them in all sizes.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402