Dieter,
I suspect that the Elecraft radios will not open up like older radios from Icom or Kenwood. However, that should not be a problem with email over HF if you use the Winlink network and Winmor vice an SCS modem and Sailmail. Getting onto the marine SSB frequencies might be a problem.

I have worked with a number of boat owners who sail in blue water. My suggestion to them is that they have both a marine SSB and a ham radio on board. My thinking on this is redundancy for safety at sea.

73,
Barry
K3NDM