Scotty (and all),

Field Day is different things to different people. To some it is as it was originally intended - an exercise in setting up a station in a short time for simulated emergency conditions. To others it is a time to go into the 'back country' and test out your latest homebrew transceiver and portable antenna and see if you can make some contacts under adverse conditions, and to others it is a time to get together with fellow club members and have some socialization while making some contacts under those simulated emergency conditions. For others it is a time just to see if you can set up a station in the field (independent of power mains) and make some contacts just to prove to yourself that you can do it. Then there are the others who treat it as a contest - competitive groups trying to see if they can muster the best score.

Pick whichever group you associate with the most and 'go for it'. With folks of a like mind, Field Day can be a lot of fun as well as a test of your ability to set up a station in the field and make contacts. There is room for everyone, just pick your group with care. If you would rather go it alone, I suggest trying class 1B with a battery powered QRP station rather then trying to enter "contest' mode - just prove to yourself that you can set up a station and establish communications under simulated adverse conditions. That practice might come in handy in a real emergency.

If you have a "Go Box" for emergency communications, try using just that for Field Day and you will see just how effective your "Go Box" is and make notes for what you need to add for the next time. Think emergency preparedness and you will come back to the original intent of Field Day.

Yes, making contacts in crowded band conditions is an important part of the process. While the "emergency" aspects in a real situation may not involve battling QRM, it certainly could be battling QRN and other distractions to communications. Confidence building in your capability to provide communications under emergency situations is the goal no matter how you wish to approach it.

73,
Don W3FPR