From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Barry LaZar
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2013 4:32 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] 43 Ft Vertical and Elecraft Tuners

I know this isn't an answer to the basic premise of the raised question, but
let me throw this out.

1. 43 ft. verticals that are ground mounted require a large, good ground
system.
2. Depending on the band you are operating, the assumption of a high VSWR is
correct.
3. High VSWRs on coax are a losing proposition.

I use an 18' elevated vertical with an elevated radial system and a tuner at
the base of the vertical. The reasons I do this are:

1. Elevated radial systems need not be as extensive as ground based radial
systems; I have 4 radials, two 9 footers and two 19 footers.
2. 18 ft. is as high as I could get and still have my radial system close to
where I wanted it; the tree was too low.
3. A tuner at the base of the vertical allows me to run coax all the way
with an VSWR less than 1.5:1 on all bands.

The question now is how does it play or compare. The answer is I don't have
an absolute answer, but from what I see using WSPR at 1.5 Watts, it seems to
play well. I only have only had the system up a few weeks and don't yet have
enough experience with it to be more definitive. My gut tells me that this
is a better overall system than expensive, commercial verticals. Almost
everything is available from Home Depot except the tuner and a few
insulators. I hope this has triggered some curiosity.

73,
Barry
K3NDM