I don't understand the disagreement over the radiation resistance of a folded dipole. ARRL Antenna Book, 19th edition, page 6-1, plainly states that a folded dipole will have an impedance of approx 300 ohms. This has been widely known for decades. This is for a folded dipole up in the air, ran horizontally. This *is* the radiation resistance. It is approx 4x the impedance (radiation resistance) of a regular, unfolded, dipole.

If one were able to construct half of such a folded dipole and arrange it vertically, it would have have an impedance (radiation resistance) of approx 150 ohms. Again, approx 4x the radiation resistance of a standard 1/4 wl monopole.

Modeling with EZNEC is in agreement with the ARRL Antenna Book.

So I think we can safely say that if one were able to construct a vertical that is half of a folded dipole, the feedpoint Z, as well as the radiation resistance, would be approx 4x that of a vertical monopole.

My question is - how do you build one of those?

In EZNEC it is easy. Just make two 1/4 wl elements closely spaced and tie them both to MININEC ground. Place a source in the segment closest to ground on one of the two. Bingo, a vertical that is half of a folded dipole. Feedpoint Z is approx 150+j0 ohms.

I don't think it is quite that simple in the real world.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4