I have never found electronic "bug modes" to be satisfactory for me. With a mechanical bug, there is positive feedback to the keying that is important to me - that is entirely missing from an electronic keyer set to bug mode. It may be my shortcoming, but I just cannot get the hang of it.

BTW, because of habits I formed with a bug, I cannot do Iambic keying with dual lever paddles either. If I were to request an additional K3 keying mode, it would be Ultimatic - that makes sense to me for dual levers, but all my paddles are single lever now, so it does not make a big difference.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 10/20/2013 10:37 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Good point, but I have found that a lot of SKCC members enjoy using their
bugs *instead* of a 'straight key', so I can understand the interest.

SKCC might better be called the MKCC for Manual Key Century Club.

I have run into a lot of bugs on "Straight Key Night" sponsored by the ARRL
too.

73 Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of EricJ
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2013 5:21 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 Keyer Possible Feature Request

Wouldn't that sort of defeat the idea of a straight key club which is to
encourage using a straight key not pretending to use one?

Eric
KE6US
SKCC 86

On 10/20/2013 4:56 PM, Joel Black wrote:
I wonder if it would be too difficult to emulate a bug with the KX3
keyer.  Something similar to what K1EL does with his K14 keyers (and
possibly the WinKeyer).  That way, those of us who are SKCC members
can take our paddles and use them to emulate a bug when out in the
field without having to carry an extra box (a K14 keyer).

Maybe this was already mentioned here and I missed it.  If so, sorry
for bringing it up again.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email