Graham,
I don't know if the P3 can be interfaced easily with the KX3, but what I have been telling folk who want a good spectrum display for their KX3 is to use NaP3 and a good quality sound card.

Elecraft was really smart by making the I & Q data available directly on the side of the radio. What that means is that all you need to do is run these two channels into the input of your sound card and run the software. You will now have a fully integrated display with your KX3 at a very reasonable cost.

One of the reasons I bought the KX3 was my inference that I could do this. and, I was correct. NaP3 is a subset of the Flexradio PowerSDR software and is quite good. This allows you to use either the radioss audio or sound card's audio using the capabilities of the software. Which is best? Both. There are some advantages to each and I love them equally. My new sound card was $150 from Sweatwater delivered. I have an EMU by Creative labs, but that is a little temperamental on my Win7 64 system, but it was only $100.

You can make a P3 function with a KX3, I assume. But it is going to require some engineering and surgery. I think I would go with the simplest first as a trial. You might just want to stay with that configuration. Right now, there are at least 5 of us using the easy way and all seem happy.

73,
Barry
K3NDM