Thanks to all for both the posted and direct responses. I have the open circuit terminal voltage up to 12.8V right now, and it drops to 12.1 when I power the K2 with it. It is a PowerSonic 12Ah battery, but I will have to do some checking to see if its capacity is still up there.

FWIW: I finally gave up on limiting the charging current with a resistor -- it was too unwieldy to try and keep the current reasonably constant. Based on n a very poorly remembered factoid from high school chemistry (cold slows chemical reactions or something like that), I left it outside for several hours in 35 deg weather. Sure enough, when I put it directly across the supply, it began drawing about 1.5A, which slowly rose as the battery warmed. When it got to 3A (it seemed to be rising faster the higher it got), I exiled it back outside for awhile. After 2 or 3 of these cycles, the charging current started at about 1.5A, and then slowly fell rather than go up. Currently, floating on the supply, the current is about 80mA.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

73 and Merry Christmas to all

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw

Hope to work you all in the Stew Perry tonight. I need the points!