Hi Graham,
I had a problem early on with my K3 S/N 307.

The Sub RX mixer was intermittently noisy. I verified this by swapping the
mixer
with the one in the Main RX.

Elecraft replaced it FOC.

Hope this helps.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

P.S. Lot's of bad signals in SSB CQWW. Obviously they are not using K3's !

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:17:36 +0100, G4FNL wrote:
> Guys
> I have a K3 that has developed what I think is a fault on the sub-receiver.
> It
is S/N 883. MCU Firmware is at 4.86

> If I switch on the K3 and enable the sub receiver, I hear equally as well as
the main receiver but after a few seconds, an increasingly loud noise level
builds up and the signal level drops down (in this situation, the noise remains
present even when the aerial is disconnected). The main receiver operates
without any such issues.

> I  have saved a small video file showing the effect and how switching the sub
receiver off and then immediately back on restores the receiver, until the
noise
returns and the signal drops out once again.  See
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43142183/2.wmv
>
> I have checked internal TMP connections and also the multi-pin connectors on
the sub receiver board, but having put things back together the situation
remains unchanged.