Darwin, Keith wrote:

Worst of all was the time I came in from playing outside and found my 25
watt soldering iron on my bed.  The iron was on and the bedspread was
burned / melted under the iron.  I had apparently left it plugged in
when I went outside hours earlier.

Soldering irons! That reminds me of another goof-up: I was working as a radio technician for the city of Binghamton, NY, and was, of course, quite used (ha!) to soldering. One day, while repairing some old boat anchor of a VHF public works radio I suddenly smelled and odd smell, it almost (!) smelled like human flesh....well, it *was* flesh -- mine: I had put my left hand down on top of the plugged-in iron (some Weller unit) and apparently missed any nerve endings that might have reacted to the heat. I bear the scar of a Weller tip and barrel to this day -- and I've never done that again.

Ah, the good ole days!

73,

Joe, W2RBA