EricJ wrote:

At K2USA we had a BC-610 in the main studio (1964). It stood a little over
desk high and was truly the Mother of all Boatanchors. To tune it, you had
to lift a small hatch in the top surface and rotate a link coupling. But, of
course, you had to switch off the B+ first. If you forgot to do that, there
was an interlock on the small hatch to cut the B+.

We had two military operators (not hams) who handled the MARS traffic for us
so we could ham. Somebody had discovered that the interlock was not working
earlier in the day. I taped down the hatch, taped a note over that so the
ops would have to remove the note to open the hatch, told the two ops to be
absolutely sure they shut off the B+ before tuning the TX and left for home.

Ah, yes, the B+ supply! Another stupid event I recall was when I was "working" on my Galaxy V MkII transceiver -- the transmitter section -- and didn't realize the B+ (ca 600 volts) was *always* switched on when the thing was even only receiving. I brushed against the loading capacitor (variable, natch) and, well, let's just say the scars on my palm are still visible.

I really like the 12 volt solid state stuff. Oh, and by the way -- it was right after the aforementioned experience that I developed an interest in QRP (1975)!

73,

Joe, W2RBA