On Tue,12/30/2014 12:01 AM, Edward R Cole wrote:
I concur. As result of this discussion and because I will soon add another 240vac outlet to serve my 50v-50a switching PS being installed to power a 1100w surplus ch.2 TV Harris amplifier (for use on 6m), I looked closely at some of the twist-lock plugs I had in my parts.

They are three contact plugs, so are unable to carry a safety ground for splitting out 120vac.

WRONG! ALL power outlets MUST include safety ground (the green wire). To do otherwise is both unsafe and a violation of virtually all building codes in the civilized world. A 240V outlet with a 3-circuit plug MUST carry the two 240V phase conductors and GROUND, NOT NEUTRAL. If you want to connect equipment that includes a 120V load to that circuit, you MUST use a 4-circuit plug for that load.

In North America, nearly all homes are supplied by a transformer (outside the premises) with a center-tapped 240V secondary. The center tap is the neutral. 240V loads are connected end-to end, 120V loads are connected end to neutral. Those ends are called "phases." To connect dedicated 120V loads to that circuit, the 120V outlets must have one of the "phase" conductors, neutral, and ground. To equalize loading, it's good practice to split those 120V outlets between the two phase conductors (that is, opposing sides of the 240V transformer).

They are legal for 240vac as the third contact is the safety ground.

Yes.

When wiring my shack for 240vac I bought No.8-4 conductor cable (three-No. 8 and one solid copper No.12 wire in the cable. So the 60amp load box is properly connected to provide 120v break out as well as 240vac with standard breakers. But my 240v outlets are only good for 240v as a result.

That sounds fine, except that what you can connect to those 240V outlets depends on how they are wired. If they are 3-circuit outlets with phase, phase, and ground, you can, indeed, connect only a 240V load. If they are 4-circuit outlets with phase, phase, neutral, and ground, you can connect a load that draws both 240V between the phases and 120V from one phase to neutral. Also, I'd be concerned about the size of that ground conductor. In general, the ground conductor must be sized at least equal to the phase conductors.

73, Jim K9YC