I'm not an electrician, but I am currently having my house wiring re-done by an electrician and this is my understanding:

If you want to run 220V and 110V outlets from the same breaker, you need to use a sub-panel with separate breakers for the 110V circuits. Four wires are needed from the main panel, two hots, neutral and ground. The ground can be a smaller gauge so long as it goes only to circuits that are protected by a circuit breaker suited for that gauge.

I did something similar to that when I wired my well, which is about 400 ft away from my house. I wanted a 110V outlet and light in the pump house as well as 220V for the pump.

Alan N1AL