I may have missed the beginning of this thread, but agree with VE3KI that
there is no "mind reading" solution. The current approach could be improved
to reduce some errors but there is a lot of skimmer spotting that does NOT
indicate "UP" or "QSK ..." and lots of people click and xmit. But reducing
the number of times I (all of us)  mistakenly xmit on the DX station's TX
frequency would be a good thing.

I'm a big fan of the "traditional" method where the larger/main VFO display
always shows the TX frequency. In split operation, when not transmitting
there is some visual indication your are in split mode (the K3 already does
that in 2 ways) and when you transmit, the larger/main VFO display switches
to show your xmit frequency and the smaller/secondary display shows the RX
freq.

The benefit of this tried and true approach is that you can be in split but
have both VFOs on the same freq. If you xmit and the main VFO doesn't
change, good indication that you may be in split mode but not really
actually, truly SPLIT!

That VFO swapping SPLIT display is one of only two things I find I like
better when using my old TS-850 as I am now since my K3 is out at a remote
site. But, boy do I miss that sub-RX!

73 John K3TN