Thanks for the replies.  Much of it is info that I do already know,
having worked QRP for a number of years.  The thing I DON'T have is the
experience of working QRP during various phases of the sunspot cycle.
My ham activity has always gone in blips and blops and has been mostly
out of phase with the 11 yr solar cycle.  In other words, I get
interested and active when we're near a low point and become inactive
during the peaks.  I've done it that way since the early 1980s :-)

I find as I work folks on 40, I'm glad to have a "full" 80 watts.  Noise
level is high, QSB is an issue, QRM is an issue.  Yea, 5 watts is only
1.5 S-units down but that makes a difference when conditions are not
optimal.  Last night, after aligning my rig, I happen to catch HA3MQ (?)
on 40 CW.  He was fluttery but I could copy so I answered him.  We did
the usual short exchange.  He gave me 559, I gave him 449.  Turns out he
was running 100 watts to a Yagi at 30 meters.  So even when using the
other guy's beam, we pretty much needed the power to make the QSO.  I
don't know, maybe 5 watts would have done it, but I doubt it.

I guess the way to find out is to just turn my rig down to 5 watts for a
few weeks and see if I'm still having fun ...

73!

- Keith -