Kevin N8IQ wrote:

I've been playing around with EZNEC trying to come up with a DX antenna that
will work at my QTH. The vertical dipole seems to have a fantastic pattern
for DX with low takeoff angles. I may be able to hang a vertical wire dipole
in one of my trees and have it nearly invisible. Anyone have experience with
vertical dipoles that they could share?

----------------------

Are you modeling over a "real earth" in EZNEC, Kevin?

The limitation verticals face is that vertically-polarized waves induce
strong ground currents. In most grounds that means substantial loss of lower
angles of radiation.

For that reason, most verticals show their maximum lobe at somewhere between
20 and 30 degrees above the horizon. Everything lower is absorbed by the
earth. Until the radiator gets so long the patter breaks up (up to about 5.8
wavelength) there is a slight improvement in gain as the radiator is made
longer.  Using a dipole does eliminate the requirement for a ground for a
Marconi type radiator, but it does nothing to reduce the far-field ground
losses from what I read.

The "gain" of such a vertical will be about 0 dBi or the same as an
"isotropic" radiator.

By comparison, a horizontal antenna 7 MHz, will over 6.5 dBi gain at 20
degrees as long as the horizontal wire is about 1/4 wavelength (33 feet at
40 meters) above the ground. That is equal to a 4:1 power increase just by
making the dipole horizontal! Of course, the horizontal requires a lot more
"horizontal" space! That gain comes from just the reverse of the situation
that costs a vertical signal. The waves from the horizontal are reflected
from the ground to form a sort of "two-element" beam.

Ron AC7AC