On Jan 12, 2006, at 1:26 PM, Darwin, Keith wrote:

It used to be one would say oops by sending 8 dits in a row.  Now, I
routinely hear a couple of short odd spaced dits instead. I suppose it
works but it is more risky.

This phenomenon is actually a very interesting and natural evolution to cw's conversational style. When sending at relatively slow speeds, particularly -- but not only -- with a straight key, the 8- dits error sign made a good contrast and served psychologically to clean the slate for a fresh start. When sending with a keyer, however, at higher speeds (say 25 wpm or above -- and certainly above 30 wpm), the string of dits no longer provides the kind of contrast that makes the mind say, whoa, let's do that again, and instead often just sounds like unintended noise. Indeed it a couple of well spaced dots that do provide this contrast, and hence serve better to the purpose. I think this notion grew naturally and independently to a large number of operators, and I suspect it is going to stay. As Keith says, "it is more risky," but this risk can all but be removed if the sender takes the pains not to make the dots "oddly spaced" but rather, say, three dits spaced evenly with the between-word spacing.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy