Hello everyone!  My first post to this august group.

  I've always suspected my K1 receiver to be a little weak because of very weak
audio fro the speaker although headphone volume is fine.  Not knowing whether
it was an audio or RF problem, an XG1 was ordered and here are the results @
7040Khz using the 1 microV setting and measuring the AC voltage at the speaker
terminals per XG1 instructions:

  --XG1 ON: 104 mV
  --XG1 OFF: 12 mV

  Using the formula in the XG1 instructions:
  --R(atio) = 8.2
  --  Log R = .9
  -- 20 x Log R = 18 db
  -- MDS approximates -107- 18 = -125 dbm

  which is a little off the -130 dbm identified in the XG1 instructions.

  My questions are:

  1) Are my results within range of what should be expected? When an antenna is
attached, the noise rises significantly indicating to me that the receiver is
working, but that is hardly an objective measurement.

  2) Should I stop trying to figure out why the speaker volume is so and low
and just use headphones?  When I touch pin 1 of mixer U2, I get a loud blast
from the speaker, so I'm convinced the audio chain is fine.  I'm just not sure
if the RF level into it is high enough.  I have the K1-4 filter board and am
sure I've peaked it for best results.

  BTW:  I do have the internal battery option, so when I say speaker volume is
very low, I'm referring to the speaker and top cover being in place.

  73,

  Clark Macaulay
  KE4RQ