Hi, Clark:

It sounds like you are dealing with two different issues: Minimum
Discernable Signal (MDS) measurement and raw audio power.

The MDS that you are measuring with the XG1 should not be associated with
how much racket you get in the speaker or phones. A very poor receiver can
make a lot of noise! It all depends upon the amount of amplification the
receiver has, which is quite different from the sensitivity.

First, are you using a bandwidth of 500 Hz for the MDS measurement using the
XG1? The MDS you get will depend a lot upon that bandwidth. Since you are
measuring the receiver's response to an unmodulated signal and comparing it
to the noise with no signal, the narrower the bandwidth, the less noise
energy you will detect with the XG1 turned off, so the better the calculated
MDS. CW receiver MDS is commonly calculated using a receiver bandwidth of
500 Hz so we're comparing apples and apples when comparing two rigs.

All that aside, the audio level is a wholly different problem. I do not own
a K1 so I'll leave it to K1 owners to suggest remedies for that.

Ron AC7AC