Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it works?

I have the P3's waterfall marker turned on. The "marker" slowly crawls down
the screen toward the bottom. Moving the Select knob drags the top of the
marker and the rest slowly follows drawing a snake. Cute but...huh?

Question: What good is this? The reason I would want the marker is to
quickly set it on a signal that has already progressed down the screen. I
can't because basically there's no marker. If I just wait for it, desired
signal is gone.

Why can't the marker in the waterfall just be an extension of the one in
the spectrum so you can use it? Is there some technical reason?

I'm used to using software for this and none of them work like this.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I've looked hard.

Thanks for listening;

Steve N4LQ