From: Don Wilhelm [mailto:w3...@embarqmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 8:06 AM
To: James F. Boehner, MD; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Microphone Setup

Dr. Jim,

There is no FAQ that I am aware of.
Actually the information is pretty basic.  Microphone elements come in two
basic types - Electret and Dynamic.
The Electret types need a DC bias applied to the AF line.
The Dynamic elements should *not* have bias applied or they will be
distorted.

The other thing that often causes confusion is the mic plug pinout. The mic
plug wiring must match the pin arrangement used in the transceiver, and that
information is shown in the transceiver manual.  In the case of the Elecraft
K3 and K3S, the 8 pin mic pinout differs only from that used by Kenwood in
that the use of pins 5 and 6 are reversed.  Since most Kenwood unamplified
dynamic microphones do not use pins 5 and 6, most all Kenwood dynamic
microphones will work directly with the K3 and K3S.

Heil microphones normally use a 4 pin XLR as a generalized connector
*and* use an adapter or special cable to change that XLR connection to that
required for the transceiver.  The adapter to be used with the K3 and K3S is
the one for the Kenwood (which has a red band).

Heil microphones come in both the dynamic and the electret types, although
most are dynamic.  If the microphone is designated with a "-iC"
or "-K2" it is an electret type.

A lot of information on microphones and transceiver connections can be found
at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/date.html.  G4WPW has done an
excellent job of collecting information about microphones, mic pinouts and
even schematics.

In your particular case with the Heil PR-781, use the Kenwood cable (Heil
CC-1XLR-K) with that microphone and make certain the bias is turned off.
I believe that microphone has a rather low output, so you may have to use
the high range for the mic gain.
So - the K3(S) MIC SEL menu should be set to "FP H".
Set the mic gain as described in the K3 manual - first set compression to
zero, then adjust the MIC GAIN until you see 5 to 7 bars illuminated on the
ALC meter (that can be done in TX TEST so no RF is produced).
Then bring the compression up to your tastes, usually in the 3 to 6 dB
range.

73,
Don W3FPR