The problem I face is that I really am a rookie and I need help, by way of discussion and some "in shack" visual time as well.

Your new rig will come out of the box ready to TX, but you will need to hook up a paddle, mic, computer, and antenna.

Like any complex piece of gear, the first move is ALWAYS to STUDY THE MANUAL. It will tell you how to hook stuff up to the radio, how the controls work, how the meters work, etc. This is vital stuff, so take your time with it. You can even get a running start by downloading the manual from the Elecraft website and studying it while you wait for UPS. :)

Yes, there are menus and options, but they mostly are for things you add to the radio, or different ways you want the radio to work. Leave this stuff for later.

73, Jim K9YC