On 3/7/16 at 1:19 PM, w...@pacbell.net (W6FG) wrote:

Would my only option be to add the sub-receiver or upgrade to the KX3?

As far as I know, the sub receiver is the only option. The KX3 has dual watch, which does many of the same things, but has certain limitations. For example, the KX3 can not use narrow band filters with dual watch because it needs to have a wide enough bandwidth to tune both frequencies at the same time.

During the ARRL DX SSB contest, there were several stations that were listening in the US CW sub-band while transmitting in the SSB sub-band. KX3 dual watch is limited to 15KHz, which is not wide enough for this kind of operation. There were also DX stations doing the reverse.

73 Bill AE6JV, who finally gritted his teeth, got the sub-receiver, and is very happy he did.