I had to set up my KX3 for digital operation with a SignaLink USB from scratch again, and I had to learn the same "features" which tripped me up the last time over again the hard way. I'm documenting them here in hopes I won't forget them the next time. (I'm also writing them on a file card to keep with the radio.)

(1) High levels of Mic input show up as zero signal. The fix is to always start from 0 and move slowly up in levels. Mic level 5 seems to be about right for my setup.

(2) You can't be in a digital mode (DATA A etc.) and turn off mic bias. All you get is N/A. It seems to be a poor idea to DC bias the isolation transformers in the SignaLink, so you really need it off. And of course, voice modes won't work until you turn mic bias back on again.

In an ideal world, the level, bias, and VOX settings would be saved separately for Data and Voice modes. (And the radio would recognize that mic input settings need to be made in data modes.)

But the results are worth it. From New Hampshire, I've been able to work 14 DXCCs including an ATNO. I also had a long rag chew with AE5ZA in Texas, all on 20M PSK31/63 with only a few hours of operating.

73 Bill AE6JV