I have a couple of homebuilt DC regulated supplies that I built a great many
years ago, the first is a simple 3A 13.5V one that was the very first supply I
ever built and it used a 723 with a single 2N3055 series pass transistor. I
remember I bought a lovely oil filled mains transformer for it, but
accidentally wired up the 120V windings in parallel instead of series for our
240V mains and watched it start to bulge when I switched it on. (after I put a
bigger fuse in it).  I ended up using another transformer and the power supply
is still in daily use, built in the early 70's.

I later built a 25 Amp version with 4 3055s and a 723 with overvoltage trip,
and also short circuit protection. It can be shorted out and with barely a
spark it trips out and has to be reset before it comes on again. No fuses to
blow and replace, no destroyed series pass transistors. I built it in a chassis
that was lying around and 35 years later it is still in daily use and still not
got a proper cover made for the chassis.  I checked the output the other day on
my scope to see if there was any hum or ripple and on full load I had 10mV p-p
of noise. Regulation still excellent.

Nothing much wrong with the humble 723.

I have seen some truly awful "commercial" supplies with no short circuit
protection, that blow the series pass transistors like fuses, or worse make
them into short circuits that apply the full unregulated supply on to the load.

73 from David GM4JJJ