On Mon,8/1/2016 6:50 AM, Jerry Moore wrote:
If a QRP /Low power station can make the contact but you can't then maybe
you need to ask for help getting your station optimized a bit better.

I don't buy this logic. I've optimized my station and have an antenna farm most hams would die for. I've got 320 countries confirmed with unlimited power, running 1.5kW to work the ones over difficult paths. Since I'm not competitive in DX contests from W6, I often work them QRP. I have about 160 countries confirmed running 5W.

Others have said it quite well -- the primary reason for running high power is receive noise at the station you're trying to work. If the other guy's noise is S9, you're unlikely to work him QRP, no matter how much you have optimized your station. Likewise, if your antenna is a low dipole or a wire strung into a tree, you're starting with at least one hand tied behind you. No use tying the second hand with low power.

73, Jim K9YC