I built K2 S/N 4398 the same as Ron, on a desktop with a Formica top in a room with a carpet. I kept all semiconductor parts in their anti-static bags and/or conductive foam, and touched ground before picking them up. My soldering station is static-safe. I tried not to shuffle my feet on the carpet and wore sneakers with rubber soles. I did ban the vacuum from the room until I was done and the K2 was working. :-)

Don did an alignment for me when he replaced an intermittent component, other than that, it's been completely fine.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn