Hey folks,

KX3 and Buddistick owner here. I've been getting a lot of feedback that I would
get better performance (more contacts) with a random wire vs my Buddistick. So,
while I've noticed that reception is much better with the wire, with the
Buddistick, I get 1.1:1 according to the KX3 and have made all my contacts with
the Buddistick.

Now, recognizing the DIY nature of our hobby might lead people to recommend a
random wire over a commercial antenna, if I actually manage to deploy the wire
"optimally", should I really see performance equal or outpace the Buddistick?
Or am I simply finding bad luck the times I try to get a QSO over a wire?

I've tried deploying from a 30' pole sloping down, the hypotenuse of the
triangle pointing to my desired direction. I tried deploying 40+ feet between
two trees about 12' off the ground. Now I'm going to get a Zebco 202 and rig up
my slingshot to deploy vertical. But honestly, I can get the Buddistick up and
running in about 3 minutes....

Mainly, I'm on 20m and maybe I haven't read the right book on random wire
antennas, but I would appreciate the group's thoughts.

Sent from my iPad