Folks (especially new builders),

Perhaps I should dust off my old adage here in the reflector:

First check the soldering, then re-check the soldering, and when you have
completed that, check the soldering!

Seriously, soldering failures is the most common cause of problems.  Use an
adequately hot soldering iron - 700 degrees to 800 degrees so you can 'melt
solder' quickly and then get the heat away from the solder joint.  I have
worked on many kits where the solder has melted but only on either the pad
or the component lead, but not both - this is a good indication of
inadequate heat to the joint - be certain that both members receive adequate
heat to flow the solder.  Do not be afraid of the higher soldering
temperatures, it takes both temperature and time combined to create a heat
related failure, so use a high enough temperature to keep the time element
to a minimum (2 to 3 seconds is ideal, 5 seconds is likely too long) and no
damage will be done.

73,
Don W3FPR