From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bill
Leonard N0CU
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2017 12:42 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] BL2 -- Antenna Balun Usage

I am no expert when it comes to baluns, but here are several comments that are
based upon some research that I have recently done on the subject:

1) Now, unlike in the past, the most commonly used balun is the current balun.
Most current baluns use some type of transmission line (if they do, they are
called transmission line transformers). If the load on a balun’s output does
not represent a 1:1 SWR for the balun, the impedance measured at the input of
the balun will be close to the balun load impedance only when the electrical
length of the balun’s line is a multiple of an electrical half wavelength. I
suggest that you try putting 25 ohm and 100 ohm resistive loads on your baluns
and see what you measure at the input. The BL-2 uses a relatively short length
of coax (~12 in I believe), however, 12 in of RG58 will show 80+j33 at its
input at 30 MHz when terminated with 100 ohms (using TLW). My high power DXE
1:1 current choke (balun) has a much longer length of coax than the BL-2. It
reads 43 +j32 ohms at 30MHz with a 25 ohm load (measured with a VNA 2180
network analyzer). If you can determine the length and type of coax in the
balun that you are using, you can use ARRL’s TLW software to estimate what the
actual balun load impedance is by inputting the line parameters and the
impedance you measure at the balun input.

2) What happens to balun performance as the SWR increases is a question that I
have yet to find an answer to. I am not aware of any balun manufacturer that
attempts to quantify this behavior with any spec. There seems to be general
agreement that baluns do not like highly reactive loads.

3) Balun heating is a complex issue that many “experts” don’t agree on.
Looking at it simplistically, there are two sources of heating in current
baluns (voltage baluns are very different than current baluns when it comes to
heating). The first source of heating is the loss in the transmission line used
in the balun. If a short length of high quality coax is used, the loss (ie,
heating) should be relatively small. However, the confined space and poor heat
transfer in the balun housing could mean that even a small amount of loss can
be problematic in a poorly designed, high power balun.
What many “experts” don’t realize is that the normal (differential mode) signal
flowing down the coax does not cause any heating in the ferrite core in a
current balun (this is not the case with a voltage balun). This is because this
signal is completely contained between the outer surface of the center
conductor and inner surface of the shield in the coax. What does cause heating
in a current balun is the common mode current flowing on the outer surface of
the shield on the coax used in the balun. This is the unwanted current that the
balun is intended to reduce. Also, a number of articles claim that ferrite core
temperatures can reach critical values (where the core fails) well before the
core saturates and thermal runaway occurs.

4) Heating from common mode current is another area where the “experts”
don’t agree. Heating due to common mode current is a function of transmitter
power, design of the balun (ie, type of core, core size/mix, style of balun,
heat transfer of housing, balun load impedance, etc) and the “system” issues
that affect the balun’s performance. Depending on the values of the important
system parameters, adding a balun can either increase, decrease, or have no
effect upon the common mode current flowing on a transmission line. The common
mode current and the resistive component of the balun’s common mode impedance
are critical factors that determine the amount of heating in the balun’s
ferrite core. A surprising number of “experts” make claims for power handling
capabilities of various types of baluns without even mentioning the importance
of these “system” issues. Tom Rauch (W8JI) and Tom Thompson (W0IVJ) have
written articles that use EZNEC to quantitatively show the importance of these
“system” issues when it comes to estimating common mode currents on
transmission lines. However, as enlightening as these articles are, I am
doubtful that EZNEC can be used to accurately predict the common mode current
in any given application. At this point, given the difficulty of either
measuring, or predicting, what the common mode current will be in a given
application, I have concluded that the best way to evaluate core heating in a
balun is to install it and test it at the intended power level.

Hope this helps,

Bill N0CU
P.S.: an “expert” is someone who may be wrong, but is never in doubt!

delivered to r...@cobi.biz