I was taught to keep the cans forward while working at a coastal marine station during my senior year in HS (age 16). I thought then it was so the op who was assigned to train me could more easily box me on the side of my head when I made a mistake (which would be whenever I touched the mill or key) without damaging the headphones. A few years later, most of my hearing left me in a few milliseconds due to a big bang behind me. Now, I put the well-padded cans directly over my ears and crank the AF gain up to roar.

The MRHS at Ron's link recently received a coastal marine license (KSM - first one issued in over 20 years or so), and can generally be found on Saturday afternoons (2000Z - 2400Z) running their wheel on 6474 Kcs. The also sometimes activate KPH on 426 Kcs sending press. They usually guard 7050 and 14050 Kcs from the second operating position as K6KPH, and they will QSL KSM/KPH reception reports on authentic radiogram forms if you ask them to. If you want to play "commercial CW op" a typical report might be:

K6KPH DE <yourcall> QLB KSM 6474 QSA 5/KPH 426 QSA 4 K

The site is in the Point Reyes National Seashore and they get a lot of visitors on weekends for whom they handle traffic on the ham bands. There are still a few HF-equipped ships with proficient ops, and you'll occasionally hear KSM respond to them too.

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Look at these commercial operators at work for examples of what Jim is
talking about:

http://www.radiomarine.org/historic-5.html

Ron AC7AC