Maybe the additional noise in the stages between where the filter would be
in IF and where it is in AF? I know I'm thinking of multi-stage RF/IF/AF
superhets and that might be what is tripping me up when it comes to a
single conversion SDR capability. Maybe there is no difference? Or maybe
components that make up a filter in an IF stage are more effective (higher
Q) than in an audio stage?

73,
Kev K4VD