I was doing the SOTA ‘S2S’ summit to summit party today from Oregon, and had
the KX2 going. I almost always do CW, but with little success I switched to SSB
as there were a few guys on. Don’t believe I’ve ever made a voice Q with this
rig.. Of course I forgot the mic, but I figured I could use the built in one.
The problem was that everytime I transmitted (pressing ‘XMIT’) in the mode
window it would switch to CW and back to USB as I released it.I thought it
might be the CW in SSB setting, allowing CW to be sent while in SSB mode so I
changed the menu setting in CW Weight, but it still continued to show the same
in the mode window. And-never did get a Q. Of course it might have been working
and they never heard me, but any ideas why that might be occurring? Though
conditions were lousy I did get to meet N4EX, the top SOTA chaser in North
America, who I’ve worked before from his home state of NC. He was out here
visiting his son. To me the KX2 is the perfect SOTA radio.
Dan Presley  N7CQR
n7...@arrl.net