James... I think you might have nailed nailed it. No asterisk

I'm using a Flex 6500. I have the Flex's TX1 line connected to the PA Key
of the KPA. For some reason, the Flex's TX1 was set to disabled. Dang
software control! DDUtil is supposed to automatically set that for me I
think. Still with the test setup - rig -> amp -> dummy load after I
manually enabled TX1 I got good power out of the amp.

I need to put the stack back together and try again.

You know... sometimes I  miss the simpler days. After I put everything back
together and test things out I'll post a report.

ARGH!
Kev