Hi, Joel!

If you "train" the KAT500 with your resonant antennas, it should discover
and store the "bypassed" ATU setting.  Even though the MODE LED says "MAN",
the ATU settings stored are the "bypassed" settings.  You can see this in
the KAT500 Operate page - Try "ATU TUNE" for your resonant antenna. It
should discover that the best setting for this antenna is "bypassed".

On some bands (my 20 meter beam), I end up with "bypassed" at the CW end of
the band, but up in the phone band the ATU provides a little help. But I
don't want to have to manually choose between BYP and MAN for different band
segments.  The ATU training session provides matching reactances when
needed, and ATU BYP when not needed. The ATU stays in mode MAN.

The same concept applies if you choose an antenna that never needs help.
Erase memories on that band/antenna combination, do an ATU TUNE at three
point s in the band, then you'll get that same setting in intermediate
frequencies.

You can choose with the "BYPASS SWR THRESHOLD" what SWR the ATU should use
when deciding whether to use "bypassed" or apply reactances.  Some really
want to see 1:1 when possible, others think that 1.2 is better bypassed than
with any real or perceived ATU losses.

The ATU relay settings with the ATU BYP and when in mode MAN or AUTO and the
ATU discovers the "bypassed" setting in a tune are identical.  It's a real
bypass relay pair at either end of the ATU.

73 de Dick, K6KR