Though that would probably work, I think it's very confusing and
counter-intuitive to program an Elecraft amplifier to use an Icom protocol
to communicate with a Yaesu transceiver by relying on a microHAM microKEYER
to translate the Yaesu CAT commands to equivalent ICOM CI-V commands.

Note that both the KPA500 and KAT500 can also work through an S-BOX the
same way, following the Yaesu transceiver.  Unlike the KPA1500, these older
Elecraft devices cannot handle CI-V (only Icom "Band Voltage", which has
limitations on WARC bands).

The S-BOX offers a more straightforward approach:  just tell the Elecraft
amp. to use Yaesu serial protocol to communicate with your modern Yaesu
transceiver.  Additional serial devices can also connect to the S-BOX in
the future, with no custom cables required.

Cort is still using the microKEYER, he's just passing the serial traffic
through the S-BOX to the radio, so other devices, like the KPA1500, can
"tap in."

73,
Bob, N6TV