It's very unlikely you'd find any benefit from using this mod running 5
watts PEP on any band. That mod was specifically to provide full K2 output
for those units who, because of the combination of the particular K2 and mic
used, don't make a full 10 watts PEP output on all bands. The mod would help
at 100 watts in the same sense that it helps at 10 watts: it provides the
overall gain to make sure one can get a full 100 watts PEP on all bands.

In SSB mode, the power output from the K2 is a function of the overall gain
of the transmitter RF system and, within limits, the amount of audio
supplied to the balanced modulator. The overall gain of the transmitter RF
system falls off at the higher frequencies and is usually the least on 10
meters. So most operators who notice low output notice it on 10 meters.

Of course, there's a limit to amount of audio the balanced modulator can
handle, so simply adding audio gain isn't always the best choice. Indeed,
excess audio gain can backfire with distortion, although the speech
amplifier I.C. used in the K2 has an internal automatic gain control that
should limit the distortion in most situations.

John took a different approach with his 2N2222 mod. He increased the
transmit RF path gain mostly by providing a better impedance match at the
output of the balanced modulator. His notes say that it provides about 10 dB
of gain.

I'm using an electret mic that, with my particular K2, provides full SSB
output from 160 through 10 meters, although there is very little "headroom"
at 10 meters. I get just 10 watts output in SSB mode on 10 meters without
the KPA100 switched in and 100 watts PEP with the KPA100. Although I've not
added John's mod, it has been on my "to do" list in case I'd like to play
with a microphone with less output.

I can say from first-hand experience helping John test some of his mods and
through incorporating them on my K2 that John's mods are well thought out,
well engineered and have always worked very well. Several of his mods have
become in integral part of the K2 as currently shipped.

Ron AC7AC