Wow. Your preference seems to be in a minority, Harry, although I have to
admit that my opinion is subjective and based mainly on what I've read on
this reflector which may well be biased by folks like me who *like* the K3.
I think Elecraft retained in the K4 many of the design points that made the
K3 very successful and enduring, including its light weight and small size
which are two major complaints on your list. So it may be a chocolate vs.
vanilla situation - some people (like me) value those characteristics while
other people (like you) dislike them. Of course, you're right that many
prospective buyers are aging and some may come to dislike smaller knobs, I
for one still find the knobs and buttons plenty big enough and I'm now 70
years old. I once measured the K3 button size and spacing against my prior
favorite rig, the FT-1000MP, and found them practically the same. I never
had trouble operating the K3 and its menu structure was logical, rarely
needed, and self-documenting. The new K4 screen is plenty large enough for
me and comparable to many current, competitive radios'. It can also be
blown up to as large as you like through the addition of an in expensive,
external, HDMI monitor or a tablet. I've seen it and it was gorgeous.

So you're certainly correct that some people like big, heavy radios with
"substantial" knobs and they may not buy the K4. Others like radios they
can lift without back strain, carry to vacation homes and field sites,
operate remotely with minimal external hardware, and expect to survive
through upgrades for a decade. Many of them, like me, have been K3 fans for
12 years or so and will be delighted to buy the K4. The market will decide.
I think the K4 will be highly successful and I'm rooting for it. We'll see.

73,

/Rick N6XI