Sub-Topic: survival in emergencies.

I had a good "taste"of that a few years ago when the road from Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula (pop 60K) (where I live) was blocked by avalanches for three weeks. All store products come by truck down that 180-mile road (there is only one road). Power ties were cut but we have local generation plants plus a hydro-plant, so outage was short. My biggest emergency was feeding my twelve sled dogs; stores ran out animal feed real quick.

I use to live in a small town which lost power and phones during the avalanche. Convenience store's freezers thawed out and town had a serious supply problem. National Guard flew in a standby generator for them after two weeks. Town had one gas station so ran out. One ham lived there to get the word out.

Having lived ten years off the grid in that town, I had good training on surviving. I had no electric, telephone, or water. Fifteen gallons of chainsaw fuel was my annual heating bill. Lights and stove by Coleman were propane (bout three months per bottle). Freezer was a military container out in a snow bank.

So about eight years ago we bought a 6500w Honda generator to power the house. We have natural gas appliances and a well so only need electricity to be independent. I keep 20 gallons of fuel for the generator which will carry us about five days. Only have one house dog so that is easier.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com