You don't need to manually choose an antenna on startup. It remembers what
was last used on each band (assuming you are using an Elecraft or Kenwood
rig with it). I think it will still remember the last used even in a dumb
situation without knowledge from the radio; it just needs the radio support
to have "per-band" memory. I could be wrong. I know it remembers fine with
my K3.