> Lightning can’t tell whether something is grounded
> because the energy pulse hasn’t gotten that far yet.

[Full bottom quote follows reply.]

The path for lightning is determined before the main pulse of energy loss happens, and much of the communication involved in determining the path happens at the speed of light.

The actual lightning flash is a wave of energy conversion, from electrostatic, to heat (and then to sound and light). The energy to drive it is already there. It is isn't travelling down the growing bolt, but rather being taken from the volume surrounding it.

In fact, the main energy conversion doesn't happen until after the complete initial path has been established and actually propagates upwards.

Where it happens will be influenced by the distance between grounded conductors and the cloud, so, at the early stages, the presence of grounds (although not necessarily particularly good ones) will have an impact. However, it will also depend on the degree of corona discharge, which will depend on the sharpness of objects, as corona discharges will, effectively extend the effect of the ground into the air above the point.

The whole process will be complicated, and there will be a significant random element, but the presence of grounded conductors will have an effect in the very early stages.

--
David Woolley