Static buildup is a problem mostly with vertical antennas. Wind blowing across
the antenna creates static. Measure the end of the coax cable to see if there
is DC connection to ground. Some of the lightening devices have static drain
inductors. I think AC/DC does. Polyphasers do not. Coil β€œQ” coil on a butternut
ant asks as a static drain choke. The black box matching units on Cushcraft
verticals have a static drain choke.
If there is not a DC path to ground, use a 1 megohm resistor or static drain
choke.

Do not disconnect cables inside the house. I have seen lightning jump 5 feet
from a cable on the floor to a wall ac outlet. Do not bring lightning into the
house, where it goes is unpredictable.

ARRL, I think the β€œ doctor is in” did a story about coax switches and
lightening.
The switch contacts are to close together. Lightening will weld the contacts.

Ray

Sent from my iPad