Hi Jerry,

I had forgotten about the KRC2, Elecraft's
universal band decoder/relay driver unit,
so thanks to Jack, W6FB for reminding us.

The K2 uses five separate filter sections
(both for bandpass and lowpass selection),
and these do double duty for adjacent
ham bands.  From my brief inspection
of the W6PQL Low Pass Filter design, it
should be possible to decode the K2 filter
relay driver signals and design an appropriate
converter to create the Yaesu 4-bit band
encoding.  A microcontroller may be overkill,
but certainly more forgiving than a pure
hardware encoder if you don't get it right
the first time.

One clarification on the AUXBUS signal: the
'auxbus' is Elecraft's proprietary 1-wire
signaling scheme by which the main MCU
on the K2 Control board talks to all of the
other controller ICs on the various option
modules and the I/O controller (relay driver,
among other functions) on the K2 RF board.
The 'auxbus' signal is made available via the
KIO2 interface, if installed, for use with
external Elecraft modules (e.g. the KAT100
ATU, KPA100 PA, and the transverter modules).

The KIO2 module does provide RS-232
serial bidirectional communication for
rig control/status monitoring, and it
is possible to write your own monitoring
application that infers band data from
the KIO2 data stream.  If you go this
route, be sure NOT to use a standard
RS-232 cable, but DO wire the special cable
spelled out in the KIO2 manual.  The
KIO2 programmers' reference manual is
available on the Elecraft support pages.

The pin labeled 'AuxBus' on the Aux. I/O
port of the KIO2 is indeed the proprietary
signaling scheme used by Elecraft, and
would require more in-circuit data capture
while exercising the various option controls
to enable reverse engineering of the protocol.
It is not publicly documented to my knowledge,
so the KIO2 RS-232 data channel is probably
the preferred way to accomplish your objective.

73,
Mike, K8CN