I appreciate you complete and considered response!  😁

P3 is sold....  Will post the 2x SP3 later tonight.  Still prayin' over the radio's future.  😁

73,

Clay E. Autery, Jr.
KY5G

On 9/14/2023 8:52 PM, Kenneth Christiansen wrote:
I managed to lose the EMAIL from the ham that wanted to sell his K3S and get a KX3 setup for his motor home. I have been using Elecraft rigs for camping for the last 23 years and sure do like them. I have a 100 w K3S with built in tuner, cw filters, the upgraded low noise etc. I have a K4 at home with the KAT500 and KPA500. My camper is a 16 ft fiberglass SCAMP trailer. I used a KX3 and 100 watt amp for camping for many years. When I got the K4 I considered selling the K3S but instead started using it in my camper. It is so much easier to set up then the KX3 and works better for me than the KX3. I run the K3S and P3 direct off the camper battery and have a 100 watt solar panel for charging. I use a 32 ft vertical mounted on the hitch of my trailer and a 5 to 1 UNUN that operates against the chassis of the trailer on 40 thru 10 meters. I also have a loading coil for 80 and 160 using this same vertical. I find it works so well and is easier to set up and take down than my old KX3 setup. I have talked 300 miles to our 160 meter net several times on Sunday mornings and run form 5 to 50 watts on the other bands for CW. The camp spots are often quiet and I fIind I can work more stations from the camper than I can at home because of the lower RF background noise.

To make a long story short I recommend using the K3S in a camper if it is already bought and paid for as you will spend more money setting up another radio in your motor home and it will be less handy to set up and take down and there is no other radio that will work as well in the camper.

73   Ken W0CZ

I am 81 years old and still enjoying camping

Message delivered to k...@montac.com