On Friday, September 15, 2023 at 08:35:40 PM EDT, Wayne Burdick
<n...@elecraft.com> wrote:

> I was 8 years old. My dad had bought me a Radio Shack Science Fair 8-Note
> Electronic Organ kit for Christmas, along with a soldering iron.

Sounds like one of their P-Box kits. When I was around the same age, my Father
bought the 3-transistor regenerative Short-Wave Radio Kit. A listing of the
P-Box kits can be found here: http://my.core.com/~sparktron/pbox.html

My Father was a Fireman, so there was no way he would trust me with a soldering
iron at such a young age. Instead, he ended up building the kit himself while I
watched with great interest.

He wound several coils so the receiver could receive several ham bands as he
was trying to spark an interest in Amateur Radio, but I don't ever recall
hearing any hams with the receiver, just the typical short-wave broadcasts of
the time.

Several years later, he ended up taking the receiver away from me because the
radiated broadband noise interfered with his Swan 500CX. :-)

It didn't matter much to me anyway as I never heard much with it. But it was
every educational in the sense that the frequency range of the receiver was
dictated by the size of the coil wound by the builder. Eventually he gave me
his old Hammarlund HQ-140-X, so I hardly ever missed that old Radio Shack regen.

Interestingly enough, there's a modernized version of the receiver that employs
silicon transistors (2N3904 and 2N3906s) instead of the original germanium
jobs. Details can be found here:
http://www.netzener.net/images/swradio/swradio.pdf

And that old Hammarlund lives on to this day after I "solid-stated it" not long
after becoming a ham 40 years ago.

73 de John, KD2BD