Bob,

Yeah, I flashed to 2.13 from 1.75 this weekend, and at first things seemed to be OK, but last night when running the 80M SSB net, I kept having the tuning change unexpectedly and my KPA500 kept faulting out. This was the issue I was seeing on 2.05, which caused me to move back to 1.75 several months ago. I had not had any recent issues on 80M until re-flashing to 2.13. It got so bad, that at some point, the K4D stopped putting out ANY power, and I had to re-boot the K4D to get my power back. I don't use the TUNE LP, but rather hit the TUNE button on the KAT500, then tap TUNE on the K4D to start the tuning cycle. The K4D ATU is bypassed.

No, I haven't erased all my KAT5000 tune memories - that would entail a lengthy re-learning process that I was not keen to do, yet.

There is definitely a change in tuning behavior going from 1.75 to 2.13, and at least for me, it's definitely NOT an improvement.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

On 2023-09-25 00:05, Bob Wilson - N6TV wrote:

Are you holding down TUNE LP for the entire tune cycle, waiting for a match? That's not how it works.

Also, did you try clearing tuner memories as I previously suggested? Or using a dummy load? It may help since the tuner may start the search at a poor match solution from memory.

Does the same problem happen if you use CW mode or FSK mode to produce a carrier (tap XMIT in FSK)?

If so, and if the K4 ATU bypassed, it sounds like you have found a new bug in the new KAT500 firmware that cannot be resolved by posting to this group.

Anyone else here using KAT500 Beta firmware 2.13? Do you see the same problem?

Please report all the details to Elecraft support. They may ask for a log trace if the KAT500 supports that.

Good luck.

73,
Bob, N6TV