Mike,
It's my understanding that the MODE is a function of the chip being used. At this time I know of three Ultimatic units. The cube keyer that goes with that mini Palm paddle key (the newer cube), the offerings from Jackson Harbor - I think the PK4 chip (that's used the new Palm), and there's a keyer for about $17 that is constantly for sale on that Auction site (I think it comes up when searching on QRP) Unfortunately, I don't believe the older PK3 chip is plug to plug compatible. That is, you can't take a keyer based on the PK3 Chip and plug in the PK4.

I think the circuit board for the basic keyer (not a lot of memories) is pretty small. So you might be able to stick in inside the rig and just wire it to the key jack - or you can install it as a small box at the key end - sort of in-line with your key.

I became aware of ultramatic - an old Ten Tec mode - in discussion in the FISTS newsgroup. Like you (and me) many did not like the iambic keyer action but wanted to use a dual paddle. There was a great cheer in the newsgroup when a member reminded them of Ultramatic mode. It was just what they wanted.

Good luck and 73,
Paul