I suspect John, GM4SLV, and Steve AA4AK are quite right about many responses
to those signing /QRP.

I always perk up when I hear /QRP because it promises to be an unusually
interesting contact. When I call CQ on or near a QRP "calling frequency"
such as 7040 or 14060 I use 5 watts or less and sign /QRP myself.

I hope the intrepid operators who love to promote their operating interests
will never stop signing /QRP. If someone considers a QRP signal as unworthy
of his or her time, that's their choice and I'm happy to help them avoid
being "ambushed" by an unrecognized QRP signal just because it happens to be
pounding in nice an strong at their end.

Ron AC7AC