I'll offer a comment here...

I beleive that the phrase "ham radio operators" carries more recognition
with the public than "amateur radio operators." At least here along the
hurricane coast if you tell someone your hobby is amatuer radio you might
get a quizzical look, but if you say you're a ham operator they tend to
perk up and say somethig like "Oh, like the guys who helped out after
Katrina?" The news media usually refers to "reports via ham radio
operators" and similar words. Our Louisiana call letter plates have the
legend "Ham Operator."

To that end, the magnetic signs we are making to put on vehicles when we
are doing public service communications at events will read

(with BRARC Club and ARRL logos)

Baton Rouge Amateur Radio Club

HAM RADIO COMMUNICATIONS