W6NEK wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> I am curious what version of firmware you're running in your K3.  My K3
> (SN 312) is running the latest firmware (MCU 1.66 & DSP1 1.52).  I have
> CONFIG menu "SMTR OF = 024 & SMTR SC = 014) with PRE AMP on.  As expected
> my S-Meter reads S9 with 50uv applied from a XG1 signal generator.
> However, when tuning in local broadcast stations, which are S9+50 db on
> three other receivers, my K3 only reads S9+20 db.  In addition, if I turn
> my RF Gain Control fully counter clock wise (anti clock wise) the S-Meter
> only reads S7 rather then full scale.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> So the question is: am I the only one who has an S-Meter response as
> described above?
>
> Thanks for any input,
> Frank - W6NEK

Hi Frank,

I'm on the Field Test team so I'm using 1.67/1.53.  I've also made the
Hardware AGC Mod G4AON described.  Using the XG1 and Preamp On (following
the manual S-Meter calibration procedure on page 48), I get SMTR OF = 030
(at the upper limit of adjustment) and SMTR SC = 014.  I'm also experiencing
the same issue you are with RF Gain full CCW resulting in only S7 on my
meter.

Only one other Field Tester (W0YK) responded to a query about my odd SMTR OF
reading and both of his units were 22/14 and 24/14, which leaves me
wondering if there is something wrong in mine.  You comments make me think I
may not be the only one with some sort of problem.

For other K3 users ***who have actually followed the S-meter calibration
procedure in the manual***, please send me your settings for SMTR OF and
SMTR SC.  I'll compile a list and post the results here.  If you just used
the recommended settings of 24/14, there is no need to reply.

73,  Bill  W4ZV